The START Patient Advocacy Program gives patients and their representatives one person to serve as the ambassador for the cancer center, bonding a partnership between the cancer center and the patient. A Patient Advocate will:
- Help to further personalize health care at The START Center.
- Serve as a liaison between patients and the cancer center.
- Provide a channel through which patients and their representatives can
obtain assistance with their problems, concerns or unmet needs.
Volunteer Auxiliary Program.
These dedicated volunteers will provide service to
the patients such as:
- Answer questions about the clinic
- Help the patient or visitor feel comfortable by offering coffee, juice, water,
snacks, magazines, blankets or pillows
- Escort visitors
- Offer directions
- Help wheelchair bound patients
- Be of general assistance to the patients, their representatives, and the staff
- Visit with and assist patients in waiting areas and/or treatment areas.
- Assemble new patient packets/handouts
- Restock supply rooms
- Assist with stocking patient education room
You can become a member of the Care Today, Cure Tomorrow Volunteer Auxiliary?
- Share the moments
- Share the benefits
- Share the caring, and
- Share the future.
Whatever your background may be, your talents and skills can improve the lives of our patients. Membership is open to anyone interested in giving of themselves to help others. There are many areas in need of assistance?some including patient contact, while others consist of clerical assignments or helping nurses with preparing patient handouts. Before you volunteer, you will either need to attend a training class or agree to accompany a ?buddy? for one shift.
The requirements to become a Care Today, Cure Tomorrow Volunteer Auxiliary
- 1. Complete an application
2. Meet with the Volunteer Coordinator
3. Pay the one-time auxiliary membership dues ($10.00)
4. Obtain appropriate attire
5. Choose a specific day (Monday-Friday)
6. Choose a shift (9:00 AM-12:00 PM or 12:00 PM-3:00 PM)
7. Attend training session or choose a time to accompany a ?buddy?
8. Get a TB test (there is no charge?test can be given any day except Thursday)
9. In order to remain an active volunteer, you must commit to a minimum of fifty
(50) hours annually.